Folding@Home, one of these distributed computing efforts. All my computers run a lowest-priority background process which does molecular dynamics simulations of protein folding and sends the results back to Stanford, where they generate insight and papers. Currently some 250000 computers around the world contribute CPU time to the effort. The certificate shows that I've contributed 51000+ computation units to the project and the proud title exclaims that that means I am in the top 6% of CPU time contributors, which in other words means I have computers with a lot more power than is needed for just doing word processing, databases and web surfing. :-)
Sonification Design: From Data to Intelligible Soundfields D Worrall. I thought this was the work of an eager and recently graduated PhD, not a well-established professor.
Physics for Cats T Gauld. About “science”, but nothing specific.
Fighters in Service—Attack and Training Aircraft since 1960 K Munson. Right at the start when current air forces were equipped.
The Sonification Handbook T Hermann, A Hunt & J G Neuhoff (eds). I wish I had read this when it was released, but it’s still relevant.
Games User Research A Drachen, P Mirza-Babaei & L E Nacke (eds). Urgently needed.
Avro Lancaster, Lincoln and York in Post-War RAF Service 1945–1950 M Derry. Refreshingly honest.
Places I keep track of
IPMS Stockholm One of the best plastic modelling forums you'll find.
3 comments:
But what is it???
Folding@Home, one of these distributed computing efforts. All my computers run a lowest-priority background process which does molecular dynamics simulations of protein folding and sends the results back to Stanford, where they generate insight and papers. Currently some 250000 computers around the world contribute CPU time to the effort. The certificate shows that I've contributed 51000+ computation units to the project and the proud title exclaims that that means I am in the top 6% of CPU time contributors, which in other words means I have computers with a lot more power than is needed for just doing word processing, databases and web surfing. :-)
Ah ha. I figured it was something of the kind. I used to run SETI@home.
Post a Comment