2022-12-26

The patron saint

The reception traditions at the alma mater have most likely changed considerably since my undergrad days, but at the time there were certain rites and ceremonies that had to be performed for the recently admitted students to be accepted as full members of the school, the final being a party arranged by the new students for the rest of the section. Of course I ended up on the arranging committee. As the party would coincide with All Saints’ Day, we thought we should do something saint-themed, such as introducing the patron saint of programmers, whoever that might be. So I spent some time trying to get hold of a Catholic priest I had located in the phonebook (yes, it was all analog in those days). When I finally reached the priest, it turned out he belonged to the Liberal Catholic Church which had no truck with saints. Well, I had no idea! By then it was too late to start over with finding a Roman Catholic priest, so we had to drop the saints in favour of other ideas which I hope are safely forgotten by now.

Still, with the advent of the World Wide Web, it is now possible to search for all desired information, and one then finds that the inofficial patron saint of programmers is Isidore of Seville on account of him having compiled the first encyclopaedia, so here he is.

No comments: